Friday, June 3, 2011

To the Tree-Climbers

Ugh, late and it's only the third day. Sorry everyone. I promise I tried really, really hard. But I also rushed. And structured poems take much more effort than just an idea with words on (aka free verse).Thus, the technical term for the quality of this poem would be "craptacular."
Anyway, I'm going to try out as many different poetic forms as I can think of this month (except perhaps sestina, because those are really hard and I don't even like them that much). First, I present to you: the humble sonnet.



I've never had a chance to seize the world
Or soar above the sunset and be free.
On mountains, it was never my flag that unfurled
Except just once, in the arms of a living tree.
How greenly and how sweet those branches sighed
A world apart, for whose like man still hunts.
Its trunk was firm, but swayed in the open sky
I was sheltered and exalted all at once.
Now lately it's been hard to climb my tree;
I don't fit like I did when I was small,
But, now I reach high limbs more easily
And for all this, it's never let me fall.
So I still climb my tree, because it seems
No matter what, you're never too old for dreams.



*Fun Fact: about half this poem was actually written in a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment