Tuesday, June 14, 2011

OULIPO!

So I was looking up random poetic forms for inspiration when I came across another totally weird and never-used one. I was overwhelmed with the need to try it at once. This is oulipo, which is an acronym for something in French. It's basically "think of a crazy number-based rule and write a poem adhering to it strictly." There are several variations
The first one is a snowball, in which every line must be one word longer than the previous line, and every word one letter longer than the previous word. It was much harder than it looks. The second is N+7, in which you take an already-written poem and replace every noun with the noun 7 entries after it in the dictionary. Poems of this sort are (I presume) not intended to make any sort of sense. For my base poem, I used William Carlos Williams' "Red Wheelbarrow," because I figured my version of it would be about as interesting and meaningful.



I
am not
from above heaven:
desire's ravening eagerness devastates
allegorical heartstrings, foreshadowing misinterpreted bittersweetness.



so much depends
upon
a red wheelhorse
barrulet
glazed with raindrop
watkins
beside the white
chickpea.

No comments:

Post a Comment