Monday, June 13, 2011

Come Paint the Sky with Me

I'm pretty sure this is the first love poem I have ever written (read: "sad little first try"). It's inspired by Robert Frost's "A Line-Storm Song," which is one of my favorites of all time, and my absolute number one poem for someone to sing to me at my window. 
However, "A Line-Storm Song" : this :: Mt. Everest : an Appalachian mountain.



Come fly away with me, my love
Come paint the sky with me.
Its echoing vaults were made for us
Who love so endlessly.

Our rainbow stair is slick and steep,
But our clasped hands are strong.
Our love makes the path seem broad and fair,
We laugh as we go along.

You use yellow and I use blue
And we paint till the sky is green;
I sketch horses and you add some cows
For an empyrean landscape scene.

The weather today is drips of paint
From kaleidoscopic clouds
And light from your eyes and breeze from your sighs -
Too perfect to be allowed.

And when the night's dark water comes
To wash away all our work there,
You pluck a star from its rippling face
And tuck it in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment