Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Obsessions

       My love is exponential. The more I am exposed to something, the more and more I love it until I rarely think about anything else. For example (a very small example), when my friends and roommates listen to music I would never choose to listen to myself, over time I grow to like it a little. Or, to take it another way, reading Harry Potter all in a row over three days creates more obsession than reading one a month. This, combined with my dislike of having to wait for the ending of somethings I like (which leads to me reading/watching/listening to it in as short a time as possible), means that I go through phases of mild obsession on a fairly regular basis. Usually the obsession fades into the background of "things I like" within a few days after I'm finished. However, I'm starting to think that is only because I have never been obsessed with anything this good before.

       I'm not going to name my obsession, because I don't want this post to degenerate into an incoherent rhapsody, and I'm sure neither do you. But just imagine all of the superlatives in existence applied to one thing and you'll begin to get an idea of how wonderful it is.

        Anyway, my real point here is to wonder how long people are really capable of sustaining intense emotions like this. You could relate it to being in love, if you like (I have never really been in love, so I cannot). The answer right now: I don't know. It's only been a couple of weeks. But the intensity appears to be growing. So I guess I'll report back in a month or several and let you know: how long can this degree of obsession be sustained??? My prediction: forever.

PS. You have not idea how difficult it was for me to not break into incoherent rhapsody mode.
SO HARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment